Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Kill Bill

I have decided that the next few posts are going to be on KILL BILL. Ok! So, let’s start with Vol. 1 first. I so happened to get the script of the movie on the internet. Believe me. I was so happy I managed to get it. As I adore the easy to understand dialogues present in the movie, I decided I am gonna post a few of my favourite dialogues present in the movie. I agree that you will be able to enjoy it, only if you have seen the movie. But all said and done these are all amazing pieces of conversation per se.

I will just give a brief introduction on the movie as such. It all started when Bill and The Deadly Viper Squad kill the pregnant Beatrix Kiddo aka Black Mamba aka The Bride aka Mommy in a wedding chapel. That is Uma Thurman for you and she is referred to in different names in the movie. But unfortunately for the killers and fortunately for Uma Thurman, she escapes the death bed but instead goes into a comatose for four long years. She wakes up after four years and decides to take revenge.

Now this particular conversation takes place after the tussle between The Bride and Vernita, who is one among the four who were involved in the assassinations. The scene is that these guys get into the fight right away. When I mean right away, it is written in its true sense. The minute Vernita opens the door without peeping into the door eye lens. They stop their fight when Vernita’s daughter arrives from the school. After a brief intro session with Nikki, Vernita’s daughter, this conversation comes up.

I mean the beauty of the whole conversation is that they talk as any acquaintances would. You might not be able to feel the impact here, but believe me one can't imagine a conversation of this kind especially after a brutal fight.


The two women turn to face each other, masquerade and combat both finished.

THE HOUSEWIFE: Want some coffee?

THE BRIDE: Yeah, sure.

The two women move into the kitchen. The Bride re-sheaths her SOG, and The Housewife puts the butcher knife back in the drawer. The Bride sits down at the kitchen table, while The Housewife pours both of them coffee.

THE HOUSEWIFE: Cream and sugar?

THE BRIDE: Both, please.

As The Housewife fixes the coffee, we hear The Bride's VOICEOVER ON THE SOUNDTRACK:

THE BRIDE (V.O.): This Pasadena homemaker's name is Jeanne Bell. Her husband is Dr. Lawrence Bell. But back when we were acquainted, five years ago, her name was VERNITA GREEN. Her code name, was "COBRA"..... Mine was BLACK MAMBA.

The two combat artists sit at the kitchen table, drinking coffee out of Vernita's coffee mugs.

THE BRIDE: Were you expecting me?

VERNITA: Yes and no. Bill got in touch with me right after you woke up, and then again a little later after your episode in Japan. (pause) So I suppose it's a little late for a apology, huh?

THE BRIDE: You suppose correctly.

VERNITA: Even if I was sincere?

THE BRIDE: Oh. I'm quite positive you're sorry, now.

Vernita says to the Bride across the table furiously but with low volume;

VERNITA: Look bitch, I need to know if you're gonna start anymore shit around my baby girl!

THE BRIDE: You can relax for now. I'm not going to murder you in front of your daughter.

VERNITA: That's being more rational than Bill led me to believe you were capable of.

THE BRIDE: Well that's a demonstration of Bill's complete ignorance when it comes to the subject of me, and what I'm thinking, and what I might do. It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack, not rationality.

She pauses for effect -- the ham.

THE BRIDE: I'll wait for now, but I won't wait for long. I'll allow you to choose a time and place for us to meet again, preferably as far away from Nikki as possible. I could have just HIT you, I didn't, I demand respect for that. Since this is not a HIT, consider it a DUEL. And as two former Deadly Vipers, we will observe Viper rules of honor. One on one - no help – no bushwhackin - no treacherous weapons - on weapon of choice – our skill and our bodies. Vernita says her name;

VERNITA: *(BLEEP)*

THE BRIDE: - I'm not through telling you. Failure to keep our date, or duplicity of any kind, will result in me putting a xoxo hollow point bullet into the back of your skull from a window of a building across the street from Nikki's elementary school. Now, feel free to respond.

VERNITA: Look...I know I fucked you over. I fucked you over bad. I wish to God I hadn't, but I did. The blonde listens to the black woman with a poker face.

VERNITA: If I could go back in a machine I would, but I can't. All I can tell you is I'm a different person now.

THE BRIDE: I don't care.

VERNITA: Be that as it may, I know I do not deserve mercy or forgiveness. However, I beseech you for both on behalf of my daughter.

THE BRIDE: -- Bitch, you can stop right there.

The B-word stops Vernita short, almost like a cold-handed slap in the face (it should affect the audience that way as well).

THE BRIDE: (leans in close) Just because I have no wish to murder you before the eyes of your daughter, does not mean parading her around in front of me is going to inspire sympathy. You and I have unfinished business. And not a goddamn fuckin thing you've done in the subsequent five years - including getting knocked up - is going to change that.

VERNITA: You have every right to wanna get even --

THE BRIDE: -- But that's where you're wrong, Vernita. I don't want to get even. To get even, even Steven. I would have to kill you, go into Nikki's room, kill her, then wait for your old man, Dr. Bell, to come home and kill him. That would make us even. No, my unborn daughter will just hafta be satisfied with your death at her mother's hands.

Vernita knows no matter what else is said, blood will spill.

VERNITA: When do we do this?

THE BRIDE: It all depends... When do you want to die? Tomorrow? The day after tomorrow? That's about as long as I'll wait.

VERNITA: How bout tonight, bitch?

THE BRIDE: Spendid. Where?

VERNITA: There's a baseball diamond where our little league has its games, about a mile from here. We meet there around two-thirty in the morning, dressed all in black, your hair in a black stocking, and we have us a knife fight, we won't be bothered. I have to fix Nikki's cereal.

As they continue to talk, Vernita pulls down a cereal bowl for her daughter and lays it on the kitchen counter.

3 comments:

The Last Blogger said...

I remember the scene and dialogues very well. I had it stored in my DVR and saw it over and over again. I kinda remember scene to scene, dialogue to dialogue conversation of the entire movie. As I mentioned earlier, Miramax is expected to release a Collectors Edition multi-DVD set of the Kill Bill series. I am eagerly awaiting that one.

Good post!

reNUka said...

Hey! that was pretty quick - thanks for the comment - yeah i wud have seen Vol 1 and 2 abt 10 times till now. though my wish is to watch all the four cds at a stretch. At the most one and a half movies - unable to find so much time - thts the prblem.

shantanu said...

whewww, that is one long post...need loadsa time to read it..chalo off to the big task now...:)